Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Not long ago, in my Sunday School class, we were studying the fall of man and its affect on Creation. Pondering this as we have been taking canyon walks of late, I have been struck by yet another manifestation of God’s grace.

One aspect of the curse is from Genesis 3:17 and 18, specifically, “…cursed [is] the ground for thy sake…Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee…” My husband, who is a landscaper by trade, can attest to the fulfillment of these words. He even struggles with prolific flowers, such as California poppies, which readily spread beyond what he considers their proper boundary. The reason for this is obvious: the poppies make more work; the weeds make more work; it is a constant battle.

I do not dispute this truth and I respect and understand his reasoning, but there is another side to weeds, and here is where God’s grace comes into play. They are beautiful. During our many hikes, I have stopped countless times to capture on film (okay, not film…my camera is digital) what I have come to consider moments in nature. I have been saving up some of my favorite weed pictures to post with these thoughts.

When we are out and about, my eyes are always searching hungrily for the M's I.N. and if I don’t have a camera, I try to burn them into my memory in hopes of savoring them later. One such moment happened years ago, when I went to West Yellowstone with friends (including my future husband) to celebrate the New Year. We stayed on the Henry’s Fork of the Snake River and snowshoes were required to get from where we parked to the cabin. The snow we tracked in when we first came through the front door was still there on the floor, unmelted, when we left a few days later. It was really cold there. Most of the time was spent around the kitchen table, near the wood cook stove--the only warmth to be found. But that was not the moment.

When we saw the moose standing out in the river, which we knew was ice cold, yet too swift to freeze…it was way cool, but still not the moment.

It came when I was standing out in front of the cabin by myself the morning we were about to leave. It was snowing again, but the sun was shining and the day was crisp (ummm...frigid); it was something fierce below zero, but I cannot recall exactly how fierce. There were innumerable geese on the river and the place was snow quiet, when suddenly, something spooked them and they all took flight at once, honking like cars in a New York traffic jam. That was the moment; it was breath taking. At that time in my life I did not yet know Christ, but His hand was on me even then and I have praised Him for it since.

Romans 8:28
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to {His} purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined {to become} conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.












No comments: