Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Asleep in Jesus: Dr. James Montgomery Boice

Yesterday, Nathan Busenits mentioned that it has been eight years since Dr. James Montgomery Boice went home to be with the Lord. That shocked me. It is hard to believe it has been that long. Part of the reason for this is how easy it is to get lost in life. It is what elicits the exclaimation, "My, you've grown!" to a child I haven't seen in a while; children are a sure indicator of the passage of time.

Another reason it was a shock to me is that Dr. Boice is still available on any Sunday morning I turn on my radio, or I can download him from One Place. A Google search gets me about 80,500 results, with one ad on the side that says, Books by James Boice (don't go there girlfriend, not an actual link). I also own some of his commentaries and because he is so familiar to me, in my mind I can hear his voice saying the words as I read them.

I loved the sound of his deep, rich, jowly voice. It is a good thing his doctrine was sound, because I may have been tempted to keep listening to him anyway, just to hear him speak. His voice was (is, thanks to technology*) audible comfort food; like potato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for the ears. (Don't miss the simile there, or you will get a really messy image in your mind.)

I would like to be able to point out something specific Dr. Boice taught me, but I can't. His teaching was always so relevant to my life that it just naturally blended into my understanding and made me want to be better. He had (has, thanks to Christ's death on the cross) a profound reverence for the Lord and keen insight into the truths of Scripture. His teaching always convicted, always corrected, always comforted.

He is one more saint listed in the Lamb's Book of Life I look forward to worshiping our Lord with forever.

*Because he is just a radio knob or mouse click away, it is very hard to keep my number straight in this post. For the sake of proper grammar, I will try to keep everything concerning Dr. Boice's teaching in the past tense.

6 comments:

Connie said...

That's a surprise to me, too! How can it have been that long ago?

Back in the 80's or 90's I listened to his series on renewing your mind and couldn't get enough of it--wonder if it is in MP3 format now???? :-)

Becky, a slave of Christ said...

The same Renewing Your Mind R.C. Sproul is a part of these days?

Connie said...

Nope, it was a sermon series of Boice's. :-)

Connie said...

BTW, do I correctly recall that you are interested/involved in NANC? If so, are you attending this year's conf.?

Becky, a slave of Christ said...

I haven't heard of it before now. I Googled it, listened to MacArthur's commercial and it looks interesting. For some reason their little guy logo looks familiar to me; it seems like I have seen it recently. Are you going?

Connie said...

Ooops, sorry I must have mixed you up with another lady blogger! :-)