Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Monday, October 20, 2008

You can lead a sheep to water...

Concerning the recent Carved B Incident, what are the implications? When I first heard Sean Hannity announce that the headline was up on Drudge, I was immediately sickened. How can this be happening in our country? (How can so much that has been happening in our country be happening in our country?) The initial headline spoke of someone from the McCain campaign being mutilated; the images that conjured up were impressive--my imagination is way active.

It wasn't until later that day, after following the Internet breadcrumbs that Dan had strewn, that I ran across the young woman's Twitter page and was appalled to find some guy had left a series of expletive messages for her, calling her a liar; it was he who mentioned that Michelle Malkin even doubted the veracity of her claim. I googled Michelle and found her own site, complete with blog and it was there that I read her reasons to suspect that this girl was not on the level.

Hmmm....what am I supposed to think now? How am I supposed to feel? First, I was shocked and outraged (righteous indignation, of course), but now...what? How could she do this? What can her motive be? Boy am I dumb! I stepped right in it along with the all the other sheeple didn't I? But it was reasonable to be outraged; this type of violence should always bring outrage, no matter whom the victim is, but what does one do with misfired outrage? Now am I supposed to be angry at the girl, the former abused darling of the story? Plenty of people are, I am sure.

Instead of pursuing how I should be thinking and feeling, I have been pondering why. Why did I react the way I did initially? First, because it stunned me; where is this country headed? Even though this turned out to be something entirely different, there are plenty of stories out there of the violence in the land over this election. (For those of you who are convinced that people are basically good, you might want to take another look.)

Another thing I know, this smacked me right in the pride. How dare she pull the wool over my eyes! Isn't she supposed to be one of us? (Which is a funny thing to think, since I have never met the girl.)

What I have been chewing on most is why I am ever shocked when people do terrible things. Is it because "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE" has not made it into that part of me that reacts to things like this? Have I been so long on this earth, in this culture, that somewhere inside of me I have bought into that same, people are basically good premise, which when carefully applied to any story will bring a tear to the eye or cause a jury to acquit a fiend?

These are the times that try men's souls...literally. Times like these make me realize that my reaction to the world is not always plumb with my world view. I am a Christian. I understand that we are all stinking sinners who deserve eternity in hell.

THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE, WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING, THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS; WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS; THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD, DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR PATHS, AND THE PATH OF PEACE THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN.

I understand these propositions from God's Word are right and that we are natural liars who need to be trained to tell the truth (if this weren't the case, no child would ever have that distinctive taste of Ivory Soap burned in her memory...as I do). I understand that people are quick to cast scorn and abuse at those who believe differently. I understand that peace is an elusive thing outside of Christ.

So why am I stunned when I hear some guy carved up a girl's face, when I know that people are swift to shed blood? Why am I stunned when I find out that the girl lied and there was no mugger who saw bumper stickers and attacked, when I know that people keep deceiving with their tongues? Why does bad behavior ever surprise me, when I know that no one is righteous?

What I want is for my reactions to line up with the truth. What I want is to think before I drink. That is my prayer this Lord's day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clark never gets mad when peole lie to him. He expects it. But he gets very upset when he believes a lie.

Becky, a slave of Christ said...

I can understand that, Clark. It is never pleasant to be duped, but I have to reiterate the point I made in the post: the reason it makes me upset is that my pride is wounded and I don't like to admit I am gullible (you either?).

As much as I hate to be duped, it is even tougher to admit I am a sinner. Once I came to that realization and understood I was going to spend eternity in hell, I was undone. I was ready to consider the truth about Jesus Christ and when I understood that He had died in my place and even more than that, conquered death, I was overwhelmed.

I don't know Jesus Christ is Lord of your life, Clark, but I will be praying for you. Thanks for stopping by my blog.