Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ransom Theory of Atonement

I was recently watching the newest version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and when it came to the scene where the White Witch comes into Aslan's camp and demands Edmund's life, it struck a chord it this time that it had not done before.[SEE UPDATE BELOW] Here is a YouTube link to the scene. (Is this legal? I considered embedding it here, but I really don't know that it is okay to do that.) As I was watching it, I realized that it was a pretty good illustration of the Ransom Theory of Atonement.

For our 1st Exam for Historical Theology, we were supposed to know its definition and the one I used is as follows, "The belief put forth by Pope Gregory the Great that the devil had rights over fallen man and Jesus Christ had to pay the ransom to Satan to redeem him back to God."

Read: The belief, according to tradition and the Deep Magic, that the White Witch has rights over the traitor Edmund and Aslan has to pay the ransom to the White Witch to redeem Edmund back to the Emperor. I don't know that the movie mentions the Emperer anywhere, but C.S. Lewis does.

It was interesting to see this dramatized so nicely. Shoulda watched the movie before the test.
_________________________________
Update: Apparently it is okay to post this so, I am including it here as well.

1 comment:

Jennifer Marshall said...

Such a great movie. One of my favorites. The second wasn't that great, though.

Oh, and you can post videos from anywhere. :)