Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Thursday, April 2, 2009

But why is the rum gone?

I cut and pasted this from a Facebook note I wrote. Sometimes you gotta write when the moment presents itself:


Our culture affects us in unexpected ways sometimes. Tonight, I used Captain Jack's famous line in a conversation with my husband and I didn't even realize why until I went back and analyzed it. It went as follows:

“Where is a’ Kempis?” I asked.
“Oh, I believe he was in France or…somewhere.” He responded.
“But why is the rum gone?” I retorted, “Where is the book?”
“Oh, I think you hid it in that bookcase over there, behind the recliner.”
He was right.


Afterward, I wondered why I did that and I went back over the conversation in my mind, reasoning it through. I realized I had used "but why is the rum gone" to mean, "your answer is irrelevant to my question, let me explain what I mean."

Did I just coin something? I think so. You "heard" it here first.

4 comments:

Jennifer Marshall said...

LOL Sounds like Matt and I's "I don't think fish live that long." LONG story. lol

Becky, slave of Christ said...

I was thinking about the "read it here first" comment. That is only true if you didn't read my note on Facebook already.

I like the fish phrase, Jennifer. I better be careful, I tend to be long winded and sometime Matt might use it on me.

:)

Carrots said...

We use the rum phrase in our house when somebody asks an obvious question. Thanks for giving us a new usage!

Matt said...

I like the line, but haven't had a to use it before. I'll have to consider this. Thanks, :-).