Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I should be doing something other than grazing the blogosphere in wool socks



















Sometimes I sneak away from the other stuff and wander about bloggy land to visit some of my favorite paper people. Today, I ran across this link that was posted by Rebecca. It is an audio of Keith Getty. If you listen to his music and appreciate what Getty and Townend are doing with hymns you might want to get a coffee and/or a smackerel and have a listen. 

What else I should be doing: I am working on getting a few lessons ahead in Generations of Grace. I am only caught up right now, which is not a good place to be. I am adapting the curriculum, from Grace to You, for use in our Children's Church and Sunday School classes. I was really far ahead, but time passes, lessons are taught, and Bob's your uncle.

I also am going to go pick up some supplies for VBS. I am the decorations coordinator and I need to get myself coordinating. I have lots of ideas on paper, but not on paper and cardboard and wood and canvas and brown paper sacks yet. I will try to remember to post some pictures here. This should be a fine, wild adventure.

I have taken on another project as well. I am editing papers for my pastor, who has just returned to grad school in pursuit of his doctorate. Huge job, big challenge, very edifying and educational. I will probably pursue doing this as an actual job one of these days when I get a minute.

My education consists of completing high school, one year of college and home schooling my two children through high school. My first round of schooling was not so good. I was lazy. That is why I only did one year of college. My second two rounds of schooling required a bit more effort and that effort paid off. I have a great love of learning now and a desire to improve my skills. 

I know my own teachers were frustrated with me when I would not apply myself and they would have been shocked, if not  concerned to hear I was going to teach my own, but God brought about wonderful results in my kids and I am grateful to Him for that. He also brought about some good results in me and one of the nicest things anyone ever said to me came my way not long ago. I was discussing my desire to do some editing professionally with a friend and mentioned that my husband has a degree in journalism. He asked me what my degree is in. I told him that I don't have a degree, but what a lovely accusation!

One thing that a person must realize is that even if he or she did not pursue higher education after high school (or didn't graduate at all), whether it was due to contrary circumstances, laziness or indifference, it is never too late to learn more. One of my absolute heroes in that department is Nathaniel Bowditch. You should check out his memoir yourself.

2 comments:

emmaus said...

I was reading the to-do list in this blog and I thought, "I wonder if she will be joining me in the free crafts for kids booth on July 11th?" :D

Becky, slave of Christ said...

That is certainly something I would like to do. It made for a great day last year. I suppose we will have to see how things unfold. :)