Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful in November - 2














Every day I have things I want to tell you about that I am thankful for, but I have a hard time getting here to post them. Just so you know - I am thankful every day and I am very thankful that Rebecca is reminding me to keep my thoughts turned toward thankfulness, because we are commanded to be so.

Today I am thankful that God chose to deliver me from original sin. Before a person is in Christ, he (or she) has no choice in the matter. People are born in sin. Born sinners. We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we are sinners. We are sin's slaves. The devil's slaves. It is our nature.

Does that bother you? Do you reject that premise? Have a kid. Watch a baby. Do you teach him to do bad? Do you need to give her lessons on how to demand her own way or to be selfish? Nope. You have to train him to behave. Ground rules must be set and consistently enforced. Miles and miles of stacks of books have been filled with advice on how to make a child be good, but a parent doesn't seek out literature on how to teach a child to break windows or pound on a sibling.

And even after you carefully read and follow the directions, she winds up screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs in the grocery store because you won't by her the egg-coloring kit she wants at Easter.

When he is little, he is so cute that you laugh when he colors on your newly painted walls, but as he grows, as the cuteness wears off, you find yourself living with a little monster who kicks you and yells, "I HATE YOU DADDY!" You wonder, how did this happen? It didn't. He came that way in the package. You got her "as is." We are rotten to the core and only God can make things right.

Thanks for being my only hope, Lord. Thanks for saving me from sin's dread sway.

I'd Rather Have Jesus
Words by Rhea F. Miller
Tune by George Beverly Shea

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold,
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I'd rather be led by his nail-pierced hands.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I'd rather be true to His holy name.

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs,
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.

No comments: