Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thankful in November - 8

Rebecca, today I am thankful for the way God's Word stands guard over our hearts.

"Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips" (Psalm 141:3)

I love this prayer. I love it that the psalmist acknowledges his need for the Lord's help to keep from saying what he should not allow to escape from his lips. My husband and I are involved in a Bible study in the book of James, so this has been on my mind of late. In chapter 3, verse 6 he says, "And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell." Verse 8 says, "But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison."

We must be so careful what we say. Words can cause irreparable damage. For example, when someone takes you into their confidence, it is paramount that their trust is not broken. "The tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity"; those are strong words, but so true.

In Matthew 15:18 Jesus said, "...the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man..." This is why it is essential to focus on the Lord and His Word. "Your word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You (Psalm 119:11). The key to taming the tongue is to feed it the Word of God...to digest those living words and then allow it nourish our souls. Commit them to memory. Then when temptation comes, God can bring them to mind in a preemptive strike.

"Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips."

1 comment:

Just Kim said...

I came by via Next Blog. This is a very good post. Something I need to continually keep in mind when relating to my family and others. The tongue is so hard to tame.
May the Lord bless you,
Kim