Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Proverbs 3:5-6

All "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6).
I am not sure when I memorized these verses, but the Lord brings them to mind often. They contain important reminders and comforting truth.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart" is a tall order. That is calling me to trust Him no matter what, to trust Him completely and without question.

In the next clause, the reason for complete trust is implied. God has a purpose. God has a plan. It may not coincide with how I think things should go from where I am standing, but He has a better view - He has a view to eternity and because of this He says, "do not lean on your own understanding." I can rest knowing that His understanding is perfect, where mine is flawed - I don't have all of the facts.

"In all your ways acknowledge Him..." That is another tall order. It is calling me to acknowledge Him in everything I think, everything I say, everything I do. Everything.

I am not there. I desire to be there, but desire and reality do not always meet. I have to rest in Him in this as well. I have to continue to spend time in His Word and seek to obey Him (my responsibility) and trust Him to bring me there in His time (His responsibility). This is His promise in the last phrase, "He will make your paths straight." I acknowledge Him in all my ways; He makes my paths straight. This may seem to be the kicker. The part that is unattainable because of my earlier admission that I am not there, but it isn't. God, by His Holy Spirit and through His Son, Jesus Christ, will bring it about.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him" (Ephesians 1:3-4).

God chose me to belong to Him before He created the world and in that choosing He determined that I would be holy and blameless before Him. "Before Him" is a hugely important prepositional phrase! God is holy, holy, holy. Completely without sin. Perfection Personified. The almighty, righteous Judge has made me holy and blameless before Him! The reality of my imperfection is overridden by the reality that His justice has been satisfied through Christ's death on the cross. I am declared clean, pure and holy because when God looks at me, He sees Jesus. He looks at me through Jesus-colored glasses and I am completely forgiven.

You can be too. If you have not yet acknowledged the depth of your sinfulness before your Creator and asked Him for mercy, forgiveness and grace (which He will dispense to you because of the sacrifice of Christ), you should do so. Spend time in His holy Word and come face to face with Perfection.

No comments: