Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Friday, February 5, 2010

Hatred abounds

The amount of hatred that is being spewed is astounding, from individuals making comments on blogs to news reporters; people are so ready to convict the ten American baptist missionaries who were arrested in Haiti seven days ago, so convinced that their intent was evil and have been ready to convict them from the very beginning. Why is this? I can think of a couple of reasons.

First, because self-righteous, sinful people love to be able to point to others and say, "I would never do that!" It makes us feel like we are the good guys and they are the bad guys.

"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 'I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.'

"But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!'

"I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted" (Luke 18:10-14).

None of us should exalt ourselves and we should be hoping that the truth prevails and that these Americans are found to be innocent and are able to return home, not hoping that they are guilty of evil intentions toward these children.

The second reason is because they profess to be Christians. There is nothing the world likes better than to see believers in trouble.

"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also" (John 15:18-23).

I am praying that truth prevails. I am praying that justice is served. I am praying that God will protect and comfort the missionaries and their families. I am also praying that He will help the devastated people of Haiti.

No comments: