Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When faith meets the Emerald Isle

"May the roads rise to meet you. May the wind be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall soft upon your fields. And, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. May trouble avoid you wherever you go and nothing but happiness come through your door." Some Irishman wrote that blessing a long time ago...

I have some Irish ancestry, and I am drawn to that place. My heart is always stirred by Irish music and I love to listen to the lilting tones of an Irishman when he speaks. This hymn has always been a favorite of mine. It is an ancient Irish hymn, set in an Irish Folk melody, that expresses the cry of my heart. It is my desire to keep Christ before me at all times, and though I often fall short, the desire remains nonetheless. This song is thick with doctrinal truths wrapped in that worshipful praise that is due to our Creator and Lord.

Be Thou My Vision
translated by Mary E. Byrne
versified by Eleanor H. Hull
arranged by David Allen

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art -
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I head not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
My I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'n's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever be fall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all. Amen.


This is an instrumental rendition. I love the sound, as well as the photos from Ireland.

1 comment:

Jenn Marshall said...

One of my absolute FAVORITE hymns!