Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Projects - part 1

I can post pictures of one of my big projects from last week. The first was for my daughter. Last summer we did some serious shopping to find the right pattern and materials for a project Kate wanted us to take on for her and her girlfriends. They had gone into some antique or second hand shop and seen some lovely, but expensive, old aprons there. She thought it would be nice to make some instead and I agreed.

Plans and reality often do not mesh and that was true in this case as well. Our summer was insane and we could not squeeze another thing into it. We decided we would work on them at Christmas (insert sarcastic "HA!" here). Do I even need to elaborate on why that didn't happen?

Spring Break was loaded as well, so it came down to me, which I didn't mind. Because of health issues, preparing my talk for the ladies' retreat and life's other duties, I just haven't had time to get to them. So somewhere around April 30th or May 1st, I decided to set aside everything else and get at it. Of course, that doesn't ever happen in the real world and I continued to deal with other things as well, but I ignored whatever could be ignored and got at it.

The timing is a bit of a blur. What I can say for sure is that I listened to ten sermons, plus music, plus the radio, and had some times. During the hand sewing (the last steps, which I did through the night last Wednesday pm through Thursday am - finally setting head to pillow at 5:30 Thursday morning) I played several hours of Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin to give my brain something light to focus on while my fingers worked.

I had already cut everything out earlier in the year and at some point had hemmed one apron (the first step for this pattern), so I was able to get right into the sewing. I worked assembly-line style, to simplify. I hadn't sewn anything from a pattern for a long time and it has probably been years (read: over thirty years ago) since I looked at exactly what the instructions say about seam allowances, so I was surprised when I read that they allow for 1/2 inch! I was taught 5/8 in home economics and it hadn't occurred to me that they would shave off an eighth some time. When did they do that?

At about 1:30 or so, I sent a note to my daughter (who was in the midst of finals week, so I knew she would be up) asking her which two had to be there by the weekend, as I could see that there was no way all four would be completed before they had to be mailed off to her. She told me which ones and I was happy to find that they were two of the three that were ready to be hand sewn. I actually thought that would be a piece of cake and I would be done in no time. They were a piece of cake, but the no time part was a stretch.

It was quite a sewing adventure, but it was also a blessing. I had been wanting to get to those sermons and really enjoyed what I gleaned from them and I also realized that I miss sewing very much. The last two still need to have the hand sewing done, but I had to get the second major project of the week out of the way and give my house some much needed attention before I could even thing about getting back to them. I can't tell you about the second project just yet, as there is one more girl who needs to get one before I can reveal them publicly. I believe that will happen tonight!


















3 comments:

Jenn Marshall said...

WAY cute!

Sanstrom Seven said...

I love, love, love, these! The fabric is so lovely. I have seen some really cute patterns for aprons and have toyed with trying to make some. Maybe these will be my inspiration! Dare I think, Christmas for my sis? Hmmm...she loves aprons.

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Thanks ladies. Dori, I can't take credit for the fabric choices, Kate chose them. When I finish the other two I will post them as well. They are equally delightful. Now I just have to get them finished!