Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Projects - part 2

My second project was to make 14 bracelets for the Awana T&T girls, before our awards ceremony was on Sunday. I had been working on pulling materials together for a couple of weeks, but it was not as easy as I expected; I mean, there are beads and their accessories everywhere, right? Wrong...at least not what is needed to make bracelets for young ladies.

I went to Michaels first, because I knew they had lots and lots of beads, etc. The problem: when I read the fine print on the packaging, I found that most of the beads available have age warnings, Not a toy. Not for use of anyone under the age of 15. My girls are not 15. I didn't mind seeing that on some of the beads, but everywhere I looked, I was seeing the same warning, including on the hemp that I wanted to use. I asked a worker there why this was and he said that those items were probably marked that way because they contain lead. I decided I better not fudge on the age limit, so I started wracking my brain for a new plan. I finally decided to crochet them. I found one set of really cute cube beads that were green with blue flowers and were actually age appropriate. I bought those and the crochet thread, but I still didn't have all of the beads I was hoping to find.

Next I checked JoAnn and was not happy when I discovered the same situation there. Most of their items had the same age restrictions. I searched and searched and finally found a package of glass seed beads in an assortment of colors, including the Awana red, yellow, blue and green I wanted.

Once the aprons where completed, I got out pencil, paper, scissors, my crochet needles and started planning. I had thought I would do necklaces instead of bracelets because I wasn't sure on the sizing of the bracelets, but after it took such a long time to crochet just one, I knew I had to make another plan revision. I went to my friend, Professor Google, and asked him how long a young lady's bracelet should be. He told me 6 to 7 inches. So, I figured out my scale and started working. It took me hours to finally come up with a pattern I liked (I even ended up switching to a thicker thread), but once I was satisfied they went pretty fast. It took the afternoon to do them all, but I was pleased when they were finished.

I realized yesterday that the bracelets should have blocked. They are a bit twisty on their own, so if you are a mother of one of the recipients, you might want to do that for her (Professor Google can tell you how, he knows everything).

Complaint: I have always said that when something is made to do a job, it needs to do that job. A can opener should open cans. A toaster should toast bread. A car should get you to your destination. Well, a silver clasp's mechanism should open up all the way when you pull on that tricky little lever. Out of the two packages I purchase, which amounted to way more clasps than I actually needed, only 13 of the 20 worked. So, I had to pick up more to complete this project. You would think they would check those out in the factory before releasing them to the stores. End of complaint.

No comments: