Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Following the Cat

Weather Cat is all about the changes of seasons and as seasons change, so do activities and perspectives. This subject is certainly not an unwritten-about topic, but I am going to use it as my launching pad, even so.

Our missionaries are safely home with their families. They went off to Russia equipped with masks to protect their lungs from the heavy smoke there and ironically, the picture below was taken here just a few nights ago. There have been a number of range fires in and near our valley and the smoke is especially wreaking havoc on those with asthma. I have a friend who is really struggling with it and hoping not to end up with an infection from the irritation this is causing. Our local firefighters put out a call to neighboring states for assistance, as the load has been keeping them busy beyond what is safe. Firefighters need sleep and food and such. What a blessing to have these men who have made it their career, their mission in life, to serve in this important way.
Our garden has been odd this year. Last year we had an abundance of onions and my plan was to plant more, but this year's crop has been odd and just hasn't gained much size. I will be purchasing onions much sooner than I had anticipated.

Tomatoes are doing well. Zucchini is prolific (surprise). Root vegetables are producing nicely. Kohlrabi is doing fantastic!
My grandfather was a master gardener and he used to grow kohlrabi. I had never seen or heard of it before grandma served it the first time, but boy did I like it! When we were choosing vegetables this year, I suggested we try to grow some. They do really well in this area and we have a nice crop.

My husband picked this first rutabaga and I had to laugh. No rutabaga should look this ugly. It reminds me of the orc, Gothmog, from LOTR's Return of the King. 

Concerning zucchini, it is true they are prolific. Because of this are often the victim of ridicule and people sometimes run and hide when they see a herd of them coming their way, but I really like it that they produce well and I am having a great time coming up with tasty ways to utilize them. I have stir fried them several times with chicken and a variety of other vegetables, we have had them raw with a favorite dip and I even made a big batch of gluten free zucchini bread that I served to our church last week. They loved it and had no idea it was gluten free! (See more about my zucchini bread adventure on my other blog.)
"Then God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them'; and it was so. The earth brought forth  vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good" (Genesis 1:11-12).

No comments: