Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Saturday, November 27, 2010

November of Thanksgiving: 27 (having missed 26)

Twenty-seven: I am thankful for the gathering of family and friends.
Thanksgiving Day was very nice. It was a great blessing to have our son home and our friends were able to come as well. The day was filled with all of the elements that it should have had, including the feast and game playing afterward. 

It has become a bit of a tradition for us to play Mexican Dominoes when we are together. I enjoy doing so because it isn't a high pressure game. Many people can play and it leaves plenty of room for laughter and visiting. I also liked Thursday's game because I won. (I am kidding - I don't care who wins; I love to play for the sake of playing. Winning just gives me the opportunity to tease the losers). What a blessing that the Lord has given us  the companionship of friends and loved ones.

Yesterday was an odd day. We woke up to clogged plumbing, so three of us piled into the car and went in search of a public restroom. We ended up at Fred Meyer and did some shopping while we were there. After all, it was Black Friday. 

We headed back home where my son gathered up his luggage to head back to school. In spite of road conditions, the shuttle was only 15 minutes late. This was a huge improvement over the several hours delay of those that were running two days earlier. The driver said that this was his third trip in as many days, which means he had been driving in some mighty nasty conditions. I was sad to see my son leave, as his time here was just too short. I am grateful he was able to come, even if it was only for a short time; we really didn't think he would make it at all. He expects to be home over Christmas break, though he hasn't settled on how long he will be able to be here.

In my November 13th post, I mentioned being grateful for struggles with sin and sickness and explained why.  I stand by that post and what I am going to say next should be read in light of what was said there. I have not been feeling well. I have had problems with my digestive system to varying degrees since 2006 and right now it is very bad again. I am not sure what has triggered it. It may be that something I am using on a regular basis is contaminated with gluten; the way I feel is very similar to how I was before I stopped eating foods containing that natural but deadly-to-me substance. I am praying I can figure this out, as it is hard to accomplish all that I need to when I am in pain. The nice thing is that it isn't consistent pain; today is less intense. Another thing for which I am thankful.

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him" (Psalm 28:7; see also, Habakkuk 3:17-19).

I am participating of a month of Thanksgiving with Rebecca at Rebecca Writes and a number of other bloggers. It isn't to late to join us...it is never too late to thank the Lord for His abundant blessings.

The button can be obtained from Lisa at Lisa notes...

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I hope you figure it all out soon. It's no fun to not feel well.

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Thank you, Rebecca. Today has been a pretty good day. A little pain this morning, but none this afternoon.