Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Palliate










I ran across this word as I was reading a quote of John Owen. I had no clue what it meant. I grabbed my Noah Webster 1828 Dictionary of the English Language and looked it up. I was appalled at its meaning. Not because I disagreed with it—because its 2nd definition (the one that fit the context) was so convicting. Today I decided to do a search online to see if I could find this word. I could. But definition number 2 did not show up outside of 1828 Webster. Why am I not surprised? It is true that some words take on different nuances and new meanings in a culture, but some words should not be lost. We need words like palliate to remind us that we are sinners. 

Palliate v.t. [Low L. pallio, from pallium, a cloke or robe.]
1. To clothe.

2. To cover with excuse; to conceal the enormity of offenses by excuses and apologies; hence, to extenuate; to lessen; to soften by favorable representations; as, to palliate faults, offenses, crimes or vices.

3. To reduce in violence; to mitigate; to lessen or abate; as, to palliate a disease.

I said I probably would be posting as often as November, and I doubt that I will, but I have posted both days since then. This is because I post when I need to post. :)

2 comments:

thegratekate said...

I like this word.

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Well scoopity. Look who's bloggin' again. :)

I thought you would.