Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks.)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Like a daytime moon, bereft of stars and planets

DSCF2280

Why is it we are so easily deflated? Why is it the wind can be sucked out from under us so easily? When we are insulted, ignored, shut out, or outright rejected, we become moody, sad, obsessed, depressed. It makes us feel alone and out of place (like a daytime moon bereft of stars and planets).

It does for me anyway. It makes me doubt who I am and my purpose in life. It makes me mad that I can be so easily affected by the actions of and interactions with other people. My skin is too thin. My emotions too malleable. My pride too easily wounded. I find myself reacting my way through the day instead of walking circumspectly. I find myself wasting a lot of energy trying to please those who have wounded me, instead of pleasing the One who died for me.

Sadly, I realize that when deflation comes, it is at least partially my own fault (I am not underestimating my fault, I just know that I am a sinner who lives in a world full of sinful people). I know that how I navigate this life is important, and I know that my sailing ability is not that great; this too is a point of frustration because my actions need to bring glory to Jesus Christ. I am miserably under qualified for this; I am too lazy, too self-centered, too easily distracted. (Example: I have work to do and instead I am writing this post.)

Help me to see my worth in Your Son, Jesus Christ, Lord. Help me to look to His example on the cross and bear up under the trials I find myself in (miniscule, compared to what He went through). Help me to shake off this enemy called Pride.

"I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in (me) will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).

How grateful I am to have a majestic, sovereign God, who is superintending my life and growing my understanding of Him. How grateful I am that ultimately, righteousness will be victorious and sin will fade into darkness; not until glory, but that is a wondrous thing to contemplate.

1 comment:

Jenn Marshall said...

Yet another thing we have in common...